From time to time we’ll want to deprecate, and ultimately remove, functionality from our GraphQL API.
Reasons for this can include, but are not limited to:
- A field is no longer used
- We have a better existing alternative
- Too complex / non-adherent to our API design principles.
Don’t worry though - we follow the following process to ensure we give everyone enough time to make the necessary changes.
- We identify the fields we wish to deprecate
- Update the
deprecated_reasonfor the relevant field in our GraphQL schema, which will include:
- The final removal date (currently 6 months from identification)
- An alternative field / approach that can be used
- We’ll make reasonable attempts to notify the users of deprecated fields via email
- We’ll maintain and update this page (which we recommend you check from time to time!)
Following the 6 month notification period, we ultimately remove the deprecated field, we will of course take into consideration whether there is still any significant traffic on the field prior to final removal.